Matt Kimball is a Moor Insights & Strategy senior datacenter analyst covering servers and storage. Matt’s 25 plus years of real-world experience in high tech spans from hardware to software as a product manager, product marketer, engineer and enterprise IT practitioner. This experience has led to a firm conviction that the success of an offering lies, of course, in a profitable, unique and targeted offering, but most importantly in the ability to position and communicate it effectively to the target audience.
Matt most recently comes from AMD where he held product management and product marketing roles for the EPYC and Opteron server processor lines. During his 11-year tenure in the Server Business Unit at AMD, he:
- Conducted various primary market research needs-analysis projects to identify next generation compute models and enterprise virtualization pain points
- Developed market and product requirements that fed the engineering design process
- Managed strategic marketing programs
- Conducted product naming & branding exercises
- Created and tested core product messaging
- Planned and executed server product launch activities and ISV and channel GTM
Matt also has real-world enterprise IT executive experience as an IT director for the States of Florida and Oregon leading:
- Cross-state datacenter consolidation
- Data warehousing of public health records
- Web infrastructure and services
- Data and systems integration between State and Federal Agencies for sharing disease and epidemiology data
In 1999, Kimball joined Network Engines. As the lead product manager, Matt was responsible for developing the market, business and product requirements that resulted in the delivery of the industry’s first Intel x86 server in a 1U form factor. He went on to lead Network Engine’s efforts in the server and cluster management space.
Matt began his career in servers & networking at Funk Software (acquired by Juniper Networks), and Seagate Software (acquired by Veritas & Symantec). At both companies, Matt focused on defining and delivering management suites targeted at the Novell NetWare and Windows Server marketplace.
Matt holds a B.S. in Computer Science from Boston University and resides in Austin, TX.