I hope you all had a great week.
Our MI&S team has been busy traveling over the last few months, and we will continue until December. Last week, Matt, Steve, and I attended Oracle Cloud World in Las Vegas. Matt and Steve also attended Open Compute Global Summit. Anshel and Will attended the 5G Americas Analyst Forum in Dallas.
I will be traveling to NYC this week to attend the Lenovo IDG Industry Analyst Council. Paul has advisory meetings. Melody will attend Money 20/20 in Las Vegas and Snowflake Data Cloud World in Austin. Steve will be in San Francisco for Arm DevSummit.
Next week, Pat will attend Cisco’s Partner Summit and Honeywell’s Connect event.
Last week, our MI&S team published 15 deliverables:
The press quoted us with 15 citations. Journalists wanted to hear about Apple, Fintech, Google, Intel, Keysight World, Lattice Semiconductor, Microsoft, NVIDIA, Quantum, Samsung, and Telco Networks.
MIS Quick Insights:
A.I./Machine Learning (Paul Smith-Goodson)
- IBM announced its first AIU SoC (Artificial Intelligence Unit System-on-Chip) designed to run and train deep learning models faster than a CPU. Just because it can be plugged into a PCIe slot doesn't mean its a GPU replacement. It is an ASIC specifically designed for DL workloads like imaging or NLP.
- It is not a new ground-up design. It is a scaled version of the 7 nano Telum in the z16 system. It has 32 cores and 23 billion transistors.
- Generative AI has established a new level human-AI interface using deep learning AI to generate new ideas and content. Generative AI can create amazing art, text, etc. It lowers the barriers to using it - you can tell it what to draw, compose, or write. I've tried DALL-E, and it produced true-to-instructed graphics. Generative tech is a new and interesting sector that I'll be following.
AR/VR (Anshel Sag)
- Storage- (Steve McDowell)
- Networking- (Will Townsend)
- Server- (Matt Kimball)
FinTech (Melody Brue)
IIoT and IoT (Bill Curtis)
Personal Computing/ Collaboration (Anshel Sag)
- With Verizon last week and AT&T this week talking about having commercial Standalone 5G, we now have all three carriers with standalone 5G. I expect that Verizon and AT&T’s networks will eventually be fully standalone, and next year will be the battle of standalone 5G networks in the US, with the real 5G use cases following thereafter.
- Google launched the Pixel 7 and Pixel Watch, with both devices mainly getting positive reviews and the company turning a new leaf in its hardware ambitions. With the launch of these devices, Google has finally shown that it can build a cohesive and comprehensive ecosystem around Google Assistant and its other services
- Pico seems very careful to launch anything in the US, especially after parent company ByteDance continues to be embroiled in one privacy controversy after another. The Pico 4 Pro is supposed to compete with Meta’s Quest Pro, and the Pico 4 is expected to compete with the Quest 3 next year. Pico also delayed Pico 4 shipments due to overwhelming global demand, obviously ignoring the US market, where it does not seem interested.
- Adobe’s Substance 3D modeler has left Beta, and I believe it will become one of the default apps for creating 3D in 3D.
- Adobe continues to gain momentum with Express, adding more features, connectivity, and scheduling capabilities to enhance the connectivity of Adobe’s apps with social media platforms
- HaptX is teasing a major announcement next week of a new product that’s the biggest thing the company has introduced in 10 years, which I believe will translate to an entirely new product category for haptic gloves, especially considering that the company recently closed a new $23M round of funding
- Meta is muddying its messaging with the Quest Pro trying to sell it as an enterprise device while claiming that it is a prosumer device, which is just a premium headset. I believe the company struggles with clear messaging on such important products, and it only hurts the company’s ability to innovate in the future
- I believe that Ericsson and Nokia will both get hit pretty hard next year by slowing 5G deployments, but I also think that India’s new 5G market launches will help to bolster some of those lost revenues and profits
- Apple’s new iPad increases the MSRP for the base model iPad, which indicates that Apple expects inflation to continue and doesn’t want to take a hit on margins or profits.
Quantum Computing (Paul Smith-Goodson)
- Denmark adds to the growing list of countries with a quantum program. It plans to invest about USD 200 million in a 12-year program. The first seven years will be spent investigating three technologies; then, the last five years will be used to scale the chosen platform to make Denmark a world leader in quantum research. However, in 12 years, existing quantum leaders will have an insurmountable lead. Its money might be better spent by a wait-and-see approach to see which quantum hardware will perform at fault-tolerant levels and then pursue that technology.
- Last year, Cleveland Clinic and IBM announced the joint agreement of the first private sector installation of an IBM quantum computer in the US. IBM will manage the quantum computer that will be located on the main campus of the Cleveland Clinic in Cleveland, Ohio. The installation will be finished in 2023 and is part of a ten-year agreement to increase biological research using quantum computing.
- PsiQuantum received a $22.5 million contract with the Air Force Research Laboratory (AFRL). It will collaborate with PsiQuantum and AFRL for research using photonic chips that control and process qubits based on single photons. The new quantum photonic chips will be co-designed by PsiQuantum and AFRL and manufactured at GlobalFoundries. PsiQuantum has an existing relationship with Global Foundries, one of only three Tier 1 foundries worldwide.
Retail Tech (Melody Brue)
Security (Will Townsend)
Space (Paul Smith-Goodson)
- Cloudera Puts The Exclamation Point On Hybrid, Multi-Cloud Data Capabilities At Evolve, by Patrick Moorhead
- Google Cloud Next 2022 – Customers Benefit From Enhanced AI And Data Capabilities, by Patrick Moorhead
- Formula 1 Grand Prix Gives Austin Tech Companies A Spot In The Automotive Grandstand, by Melody Brue
- Adobe Express - The Vision Of Adobe's One-Stop Shop For Content Creation And Collaboration, by Anshel Sag
Blogs Published (MI&S)
- Rhode Island Wants To Make It Easier To Do Business Using Blockchain Technology, by Patrick Moorhead
- Amazon Has A Solid Approach To Digital Wellbeing With Its New Halo And Kindle Devices, by Patrick Moorhead
- NetSuite’s AP Automation Is A Powerful And Important Step In Its SuiteBanking Vision, by Patrick Moorhead
- Intel’s Journey From 100 Billion To 1 Trillion Transistors Was Painted At The IntelON 2022 Event, by Patrick Moorhead
- Lenovo Announces Innovative Devices That Target Hybrid Work, by Patrick Moorhead
- Lenovo’s Not Playing Around With Its New ThinkReality VRX Enterprise XR Headset, by Anshel Sag
- Quantinuum Is On A Roll – 17 Significant Quantum Computing Achievements In 12 Months, by Paul Smith-Goodson
- Izuma Networks Acquires SoftBank’s Pelion IoT Device Management Business, by Bill Curtis
The G2 on 5G by Moor Insights & Strategy, with Anshel Sag and Will Townsend
- The G2 on 5G Podcast – 5G Americas, Verizon Mixed News, Boeing Drops Verizon, Starlink for Aviation
- The G2 on 5G Podcast – T-Mobile For Business Analyst Summit, Semiconductor Export Update, and more!
DataCentric Podcast by Moor Insights & Strategy, with Matt Kimball and Steve McDowell
The Six-Five Podcast by Moor Insights & Strategy and Futurum Research, with Patrick Moorhead and Daniel Newman
Moor Insights & Strategy Podcast
- Apple /TheWashingtonPost https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2022/10/18/apple-ipad-2022-redesign-price/ (Anshel Sag)
- Apple / CNET https://www.cnet.com/tech/apple-living-rent-free-in-mark-zuckerbergs-head/ (Anshel Sag)
- Fintech / Protocol https://www.protocol.com/newsletters/protocol-fintech/mastercard-crypto-strategy?rebelltitem=1#rebelltitem1 (Melody Brue)
- Fintech / Morningbrew https://www.morningbrew.com/incrypto/stories/2022/10/19/mastercard-builds-a-bridge-between-crypto-and-banks (Melody Brue)
- Fintech / Protocol https://www.protocol.com/newsletters/sourcecode/tax-credits-electric-trucks?rebelltitem=1#rebelltitem1 (Melody Brue)
- Google, Apple / Themalaysisnreserve https://themalaysianreserve.com/2022/10/14/googles-pixel-phone-and-watch-are-best-apple-alternatives-yet/ Anshel Sag)
- Intel / Laptopmag https://www.laptopmag.com/news/intels-going-discrete (Anshel Sag)
- Intel / Laptopmag https://www.laptopmag.com/state-of-intel-2022 (Anshel Sag)
- Keysight World / Venturebeat https://venturebeat.com/programming-development/quantum-computing-lab-testing-keysight-world/
- Lattice Semiconductor / Investors.com https://www.investors.com/news/management/leaders-and-success/lattice-semiconductor-ceo-career-path-opened-in-fifth-grade/
- Microsoft / Stocknews https://stocknews.com/news/msft-vmw-this-software-stock-is-a-better-buy-than-microsoft-this/
- NVIDIA / TheRegister https://www.theregister.com/2022/10/14/nvidia_admits_mistake_unlaunches_12gb/ (Anshel Sag)
- Quantum / EandT https://eandt.theiet.org/content/articles/2022/10/view-from-india-quantum-computing-accelerator-for-smart-cities/
- Samsung / SCMagazine https://www.scmagazine.com/analysis/device-security/samsung-announces-blockchain-based-security-for-smart-devices
- Telco Networks / Totaltele https://totaltele.com/how-to-monetise-next-gen-telco-networks/ (Will Townsend)
New Gear or Software We are Using and Testing that is Public Knowledge
- Apple AirPods Pro 2
- iPhone 14 Plus
- Pixel 7 Pro
- Pixel Watch
- XGIMI 4K HDR Projector
Events MI&S Plans on Attending In-Person or Virtually (New)
- Oracle Cloud World, Las Vegas, October 16-19 (Matt Kimball, Patrick Moorhead, Steve McDowell)
- Open Compute Global Summit, October 18-20 (Matt Kimball, Steve McDowell)
- 5G Americas Analyst Forum – Dallas, October 19-20 (Anshel Sag, Will Townsend)
- Austin GP, Austin, October 21-24 (Patrick Moorhead)
- Money 20/20, Las Vegas, October 23-26 (Melody Brue)
- Lenovo IDG IAC, NYC, October 24-27 (Patrick Moorhead)
- Advisory, New York, October 25-27 (Paul Smith-Goodson)
- Arm DevSummit, San Francisco, October 25-27 (Steve McDowell)
- Snowflake Data Cloud World, Austin, October 27 (Melody Brue)
- Total Telecom Congress – London, November 1-2 (Will Townsend)
- Cisco Partner Summit, Las Vegas, November 1-2 (Patrick Moorhead)
- AMD RDNA 3 Launch, Las Vegas, Nov 3 (Anshel Sag)
- Honeywell HCE, Orlando, November 3-4 (Patrick Moorhead)
- Ceridian Insights 2022, Las Vegas, November 7-10 (Melody Brue)
- Cloudera Partner Council, Nashville, November 8-9 (Patrick Moorhead)
- MediaTek Executive Summit, Sonoma, Nov 9-12 (Anshel Sag)
- SAP TechEd, Las Vegas, November 15-16 (Melody Brue)
- Qualcomm Tech Summit, Maui, November 14-18 (Anshel Sag, Patrick Moorhead)
- AWS re:Invent, Las Vegas, Nov 28-Dec 1 (Matt Kimball, Patrick Moorhead)
- 5G Techritory – Riga, November 29-December 1 (Will Townsend)
- Lattice Launch Event, San Jose, December 5 (Patrick Moorhead)
- Marvell Analyst Day, Santa Clara, December 6 (Patrick Moorhead)
- Financial Analyst Day, Orlando, December 7 (Patrick Moorhead)
- Palo Alto Networks Ignite – Las Vegas, December 12-15 (Steve McDowell, Will Townsend)
- CES 2023, Las Vegas, January 5-7 (Patrick Moorhead)
- Sign up here to get specific AI/ML, Datacenter, Cloud Services, Client Computing, IIoT, and Semiconductor content.
Analysts, Analysts In-Residence, Contributors
- Patrick Moorhead, Founder, CEO, Chief Analyst; Broad technology coverage plus deep insights into Cloud & SaaS, Personal Computing, Semiconductors, Automotive
- Bill Curtis, Analyst In-Residence, IIoT, and Deep IoT Technology
- Matt Kimball, Principal Analyst, Datacenter Servers, CI, and HCI
- Melody Brue, Principal Analyst, Financial Tech
- Steve McDowell, Principal Analyst, Datacenter Storage, and Storage Technologies
- Anshel Sag, Principal Analyst; VR, PC Gaming, Mobile Platforms
- Paul Smith-Goodson, Principal Analyst; Machine Learning, A.I. and Quantum Computing
- Will Townsend, Principal Analyst; Security, Carrier Services, Networking
- Chris Wilder, Contributor, Security
- Dan Pickens, Business Director
- Paula Moorhead, Marketing Director, Website and Social Media
- Walker Pickens, Media Relations, and Writer
- Zane Pickett, Office Manager, AP, AR, travel, writer
- Lee LeClercq Williams, Business Associate
- Nigel Church, Business Associate, Writer, Editor
- Jacob Freyman, Writer, and Researcher
- Connor Kenyon, Six Five Sales & Business Development