I hope you all had a great few weeks.
This week, I will be attending Zoho Days in Austin. Will is traveling to Boston to attend AWS re:Inforce.
Last week, Will attended LoRaWAN World Expo and Samsung Networks Analyst Event. Steve attended OVH Cloud Summit.
Over the last few weeks, our MI&S team published 72 deliverables:
The press quoted us with 22 citations. Journalists wanted to hear about 3G, 5G, Apple, Broadband, Ericsson, Fintech, Foundries.io, HPE, Micron, NVIDIA, and Samsung.
Last week’s MIS Quick Insights:
A.I./Machine Learning (Paul Smith-Goodson)
- We are starting to see more AI competition in NLP. Although OpenAI and the GPT-3 model are leaders, it looks as though AI21 Labs might be closing the gap. It just raised $64 million in funding. The funds will be used to work on NLP advancements. It previously raised over $600 million in funding by a round led by Ahren. AI21's Jurassic-1 model is close to the size of GPT-3, and it serves as a platform for AIaaS. I have used one of its products, WordTune, and I can attest to its accuracy and ability to produce excellent output. A company to watch.
AR/VR (Anshel Sag)
- I spent time recently with Samsung Networks at its recent analyst day event. My biggest takeaway is its unique position as the leading vRAN infrastructure provider. It is an interesting manifestation given Samsung has historically been a laggard in RAN platforms relative to Ericsson, Nokia, and Huawei.
- Storage- (Steve McDowell)
- It was all about GreenLake at the recent HPE Discover event in Las Vegas, and data services were front-and-center. HPE announced a new HCI capability, HPE GreenLake for HCI, based on its existing dHCI solution. HPE GreenLake for HCI is a powerful new capability that allows a customer to migration virtual machines between a GreenLake instance and the public cloud, with Amazon’s AWS as its first cloud target. This is a powerful capability and one that recognizes that multi-cloud has become a fact-of-life in enterprise infrastructure.
- HPE has brought public cloud protection to its HPE Backup and Recovery Service. The new capabilities allow HPE customers to protect their AWS EBS Volumes and EC2 instances as easily as they now can on-prem infrastructure. This is another excellent example of HPE recognizing the shifting tides of enterprise IT and providing branded offerings for public cloud users.
- Scale Computing, which has been delivering HCI solutions for over a dozen years, has taken in $55M in new funding as the company targets its well-proven HCI technology at edge computing. Edge has been an excellent market for Scale, and its software has capabilities that are very attractive in edge deployments — including the ability to run on Intel NUC-sized devices. A nice boost for Scale.
- Some new market numbers are floating around that document what looks like the accelerating demise of the traditional spinning hard-disk drive. Nearly all of the decline in mechanical hard drives stems from the reality that most new client computers (laptops, desktops, and the like) now ship with flash drives, not HDDs. Things are a little different in the enterprise, where HDDs still have a solid footing in both nearline and cold storage. Enterprise near-line storage has been flat in 2022 but is predicted to rise during the second half. QLC flash is slowly making inroads into this space, but HDDs aren’t going anywhere soon in the datacenter.
- Networking- (Will Townsend)
- AWS recently announced the general availability of its Cloud WAN solution. Sold as a managed service, it's a smart move and likely an easy cross-sale into the hyper scalers existing enterprise customer base. However, it does create some conflict with AWS's partnerships with the likes of Cisco and HPE, not unlike the cloud provider’s recently announced 5G as a service.
- Server- (Matt Kimball)
FinTech (Melody Brue)
IIoT and IoT (Bill Curtis)
Personal Computing/ Collaboration (Anshel Sag)
Quantum Computing (Paul Smith-Goodson)
- qBraid provides a cloud-based IDE for quantum computing. It announced an SDK in its Software-as-a-Service (SaaS) qBraid Lab platform on Amazon Web Services (AWS). The SDK provides an agnostic “write-once-and-submit” function that allows quantum circuits to be simultaneously sent to multiple quantum computers with any hardware architecture using any cloud service provider.
- NVIDIA is pushing further into quantum. Last year it released the cuQuantum SDK for implementing a high-performance simulation of quantum programs using GPUs. It just announced a new platform called QODA (Quantum-Optimized Device Architecture) that enhances the use of quantum-classical programs such as VQE in hybrid computing environments using both GPUs and quantum QPUs.
- QODA's primary programming interface is C++, but Python is planned to be added later. And the compiler, called NVQ++, will utilize the QIR (Quantum Intermediate Representation), which will make it easier to add more hardware backends in the future.
- NVIDIA also announced multiple partnerships for testing QODA. QM Quantum Computers, Pasqal, Quantinuum, Quantum Brilliance, and Xanadu are hardware providers. The software providers are QC Ware and Zapata Computing. Supercomputing centers are Forschungszentrum Jülich, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, and Oak Ridge National Laboratory. NVIDIA expects to add more partners.
- Hybrid classical-quantum computing is integral to quantum, so this should benefit the entire ecosystem. General availability is anticipated in early 2023.
Retail Tech (Melody Brue)
Security (Will Townsend)
- Word on Capitol Hill is that over a dozen bills targeted at cybersecurity defense for the federal government are close to approval. It is a massive amount of money – over $15B, with the majority earmarked for the Department of Defense. Throwing money into cybersecurity is not adequate. I hope federal agencies strategically engage security to ensure proper hygiene and control.
Space (Paul Smith-Goodson)
Columns Published (Forbes, eWEEK, UPLOAD VR, and others
- Amazon Continues To Focus On Ambient Computing At Alexa Live, by Patrick Moorhead
- Amazon Announces ‘Fleet Edge’ Technology To Improve Safety For Delivery Drivers, by Patrick Moorhead
- Alienware Launches AMD Advantage M17 R5 With Impressive 480Hz Panel, by Patrick Moorhead
- Cloudera And Apache Iceberg – Collaborating On The Same Data, by Patrick Moorhead
- Vodafone – The Journey From ‘Telco To TechCo’ With Help From Oracle Cloud, by Patrick Moorhead
- Hands-On With The First Snapdragon Spaces AR Game: Motorola's 'Play Like A Padre', by Anshel Sag
- Arm’s New CPU And GPU Cores Usher A New Generation Of Total Compute Solutions, by Anshel Sag
- IBM Expands Its Power10 Portfolio For Mission Critical Applications, by Matt Kimball
- HPE’s Transformation Was On Full Display At Discover 2022, by Matt Kimball
- Google Dethrones NVIDIA With Split Results In Latest Artificial Intelligence Benchmarking Tests, by Paul Smith-Goodson
Blogs Published (MI&S)
- Micron Is The First With Strictest DDR5 Automotive Certification And 1.5TB MicroSD Sampling, by Patrick Moorhead
- Johnson Controls–Hitachi Air Conditioning– Making Complex Selling Easier With A Product Configurator, by Patrick Moorhead
- AWS And Axiom Are Showing The Future Of Commercial Space Exploration With AWS Snowcone, by Patrick Moorhead
- Zooms App SDK For Creating Apps Within Zoom Accelerates Its Platformization, by Patrick Moorhead
- Slacks Brings Disruptive Features To Huddles At Frontiers 2022, by Patrick Moorhead
- HP Inc.’s 2021 Sustainable Impact Report Shows Leadership On Climate, Human Rights And Digital Equity, by Patrick Moorhead
- Cisco Webex Adds New Products And New Features To Its Webex Suite At Cisco Live!, by Patrick Moorhead
- NI Week 2022 Highlights Automotive Testing Technology And ADAS Data Collection, by Patrick Moorhead
- Aura’s Intelligent Safety Platform Should Create A Safer Internet For Consumers, by Patrick Moorhead
- Cisco Leans Into Unified Experiences At LIVE 2022, by Patrick Moorhead
- Dispatches From AMD Financial Analyst Day 2022, by Patrick Moorhead
- Oracle Taking Vertical Solutions To A New Level, by Patrick Moorhead
- LogicMonitor Launches Its Unified Observability Platform LM Envision, by Patrick Moorhead
- Amazon Re:Mars Is The Place To Be If You're Into Machine Learning, AI, Robotics And Space, by Patrick Moorhead
- HP Launches New Spectre And Envy Devices Aimed At Hybrid Work And Creators, by Patrick Moorhead
- Amazon Web Services Pushes The Price Performance Envelope Again With Graviton3, by Patrick Moorhead
- Security Insights From The Road: RSA Conference & Zscaler Zenith Live, by Will Townsend
- HPE Armed And Ready For The Enterprise And Service Providers With Ampere-Based HPE ProLiant RL300 Gen11 Server, by Matt Kimball
- Observability, Security, And Merakification Headline Cisco Live! 2022, by Will Townsend
- A Father’s Day Story: How A 1960s Astronaut Inspired His Son To Make Quantum Computing History Five Decades Later, by Paul Smith-Goodson
- FlashCore V3 Enables IBM’s Storage Differentiation, by Steve McDowell
- AWE 2022: An Analyst's Take Of The Biggest News And Experiences From The Show, by Anshel Sag
- Pure Storage’s Updated Portfolio, by Steve McDowell
- Quantinuum Announces InQuanto – An Advanced Computational Chemistry Platform For Quantum Computers, by Paul Smith-Goodson
- TeamViewer Powers Manchester United’s Operations And More, by Will Townsend
- Atom Computing Sets A World-Record Coherence Time For Neutral Atom Qubits, by Paul Smith-Goodson
- A Lack Of Consumer Portability And Choice Are Negatively Affecting The Mobile Experience: Part 2, by Anshel Sag
The G2 on 5G by Moor Insights & Strategy, with Anshel Sag and Will Townsend
- The G2 on 5G Podcast – Verizon 2Q Earnings Disappoint, Samsung inks Mediacom FWA deal, Rural 5G Fund
- The G2 on 5G Podcast – Nokia Partners with USAF, Verizon’s New 5G Plan, Will in Paris at LoRaWAN
- The G2 on 5G Podcast - SpaceX's War on 5G at 12 GHz, AT&T CTO Shuffle, GE Healthcare 5G Lab in India
- Cisco and General Dynamics, Apple's 5G Modem Delays, Dish 5G Network Performance Issues, SES launch
- G2 on 5G Podcast - Airbus 5G Network, Dish 5G Network Launch, T-Mobile and Dish Roaming Agreement
- Qualcomm Acquires Cellwize, Dish Launches 5G Service, Google Cloud Private 5G, T-Mo Coverage Beyond
DataCentric Podcast by Moor Insights & Strategy, with Matt Kimball and Steve McDowell
- Smart Buildings are a Big Data Problem, with Embue CTO Larry Genovesi
- Who is Embue?
- What's interesting about smart buildings and HVAC systems?
- Edge is an operational problem, not a data problem.
- Special considerations for making buildings smart.
- Not your normal tech market: selling technology into the facilities management space.
- Challenges of recruiting tech talent into a specialized engineering segment.
- Intersection of Edge, SaaS, and IT: how do you create a new kind of environment?
- What's next in this space, and for Embue?
The Six-Five Podcast by Moor Insights & Strategy and Futurum Research, with Patrick Moorhead and Daniel Newman
- Ep131: Talking IBM & SAP Earnings, Chips Act, Intel Arc A750, Alexa Live, Microsoft Contact Center
- Replay: Cloudera CEO Rob Bearden on realizing your hybrid data future
- Replay: HPE CEO Antonio Neri on the modern enterprise hybrid strategy
- Six Five on the Road at Dell Headquarters with Doug Schmitt, President, Dell Technologies Services
- Replay: Honeywell CEO Darius Adamczyk, a pragmatic discussion on energy
- Replay: Ericsson NA President & CEO Niklas Heuveldop on the next big jobs for 5G networks
- Replay: Marvell CEO Matt Murphy on the cloud-optimized silicon era
- Ep130: We are LIVE! Talking Google, Tesla, IBM, Apple, Qualcomm, and GlobalFoundries
- Replay: IBM CEO Arvind Krishna talks about hybrid cloud & AI
- Ep129: We are LIVE! Talking About IBM, Cloudera, Twitter, Siemens, Apple, and Cloud Adoption
- The A & R in re:MARS — AWS Automation and Robotics
- The M in re:MARS — AWS Machine Learning
- The Six Five On the Road at Amazon re:MARS
- The S in re:MARS — AWS Space & Satellite
- Ep128: We are LIVE! Talking HPE, Apple, Qualcomm, Slack, Zoom, Micron, Chips Act
- Ep127: We are LIVE! talking Cisco, Amazon, Lenovo, Splunk, Oracle, Qualcomm
Moor Insights & Strategy Podcast
- #Fintech and #RetailTech Friday Ep 17 is LIVE!
- Pay with your Palm at @WholeFoods with @AmazonOneID ; #PrivateEquity #VC Investment Platforms @Securitize @Wefunder @microventures ; #Embedded Finance and the acronym of the week: #MACH
- What happened at HPE Discover 2022? Founder Patrick Moorhead, joins Steve McDowell & Matt Kimball
- What happened at HPE Discover?
- It was all about HPE GreenLake, as MoorInsights & Strategy founder Patrick Moorhead joins Steve McDowell and Matt Kimball to talk about everything announced at the show.
- 3G / CNET https://www.cnet.com/tech/mobile/when-your-3g-phone-disconnected-here-are-your-options/ (Anshel Sag)
- 3G / List23 https://list23.com/977423-do-customers-still-need-to-pay-up-when-3g-phones-lose-service/ (Anshel Sag)
- 3G / Bollyinside https://www.bollyinside.com/news/these-are-your-options-if-your-3g-phone-goes-offline (Anshel Sag)
- Apple / iPhoneWired https://iphonewired.com/news/423050/
- Broadband / HoustonChronicle https://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/article/Silverman-How-a-proposed-FCC-standard-maybe-17319929.php (Will Townsend)
- 5G / DHL.com https://www.dhl.com/discover/en-au/business/productivity/5g-and-logistics (Will Townsend)
- Ericsson / FierceWireless https://www.fiercewireless.com/tech/ericsson-north-america-ceo-expects-a-lot-action-at-network-edge (Will Townsend)
- FinTech / FinTech Magazine https://fintechmagazine.com/financial-services-finserv/struggling-fintechs-when-will-the-market-recover
- FinTech / CryptoSaurus https://cryptosaurus.tech/struggling-fintech-when-will-the-market-recover/
- Foundries.io / TheNewsStack.io https://thenewstack.io/foundries-io-a-platform-for-iot-development-and-deployment/
- HPE / TechTarget https://www.techtarget.com/searchdatacenter/news/252522209/HPE-GreenLake-achieves-everything-as-a-service
- HPE / TechTarget https://www.techtarget.com/searchdatacenter/news/252522076/HPE-GreenLake-updates-aim-for-public-cloud-like-simplicity (Steve McDowell)
- HPE / DataCenterKnowledge https://www.datacenterknowledge.com/hewlett-packard-enterprise/hpe-wants-build-and-manage-your-private-cloud (Steve McDowell & Matt Kimball)
- Micron / SiliconAngle https://siliconangle.com/2022/06/30/micron-offers-weak-q4-outlook-blaming-soft-consumer-demand-pcs-smartphones/
- NVIDIA, AMD/ GamingSym https://gamingsym.in/graphics-card-shortage-is-over-prices-finally-come-down/(Anshel Sag)
- NVIDIA, AMD / TheVerge https://www.theverge.com/2022/7/1/23191634/nvidia-amd-gpu-shortage-over-3080-3070-3060-radeon-rx-6900-6800 (Anshel Sag)
- NVIDIA / TechTarget https://www.techtarget.com/searchdatacenter/news/252522657/Nvidia-QODA-platform-integrates-quantum-classical-computing (Paul Smith-Goodson)
- Samsung / AndroidPolice https://www.androidpolice.com/samsung-3nm-foundry/ (Anshel Sag)
- Samsung / Austin American Statesman https://www.statesman.com/story/business/economy/2022/07/20/samsung-weighs-huge-austin-area-growth-11-new-fabs-10000-new-jobs/65378786007/
- Samsung / Newsbreezer https://newsbeezer.com/brazileng/samsung-should-release-a-galaxy-s22-fe-sooner-rather-than-later-experts-say/ (Anshel Sag)
- Samsung / California18 https://california18.com/samsung-should-launch-a-galaxy-s22-fe-sooner-rather-than-later-experts-say/5763902022/ (Anshel Sag)
- Samsung / Bestgamingpro https://bestgamingpro.com/when-will-samsung-release-the-galaxy-s22-fe-if-they-do-they-should-do-it-as-fast-as-possible/ (Anshel Sag)
New Gear or Software We are Using and Testing that is Public Knowledge
- HP Omen 45L Desktop
- HP Omen 27c Gaming Monitor
- Lumina webcam
- MSI Creator 15 OLED Laptop
- Microsoft Surface Go 3 with LTE
- Samsung S22 Ultra and S22.
Events MI&S Plans on Attending In-Person or Virtually (New)
- Zoho Days, Austin, July 25-27 (Patrick Moorhead)
- AWS Re:Inforce, Boston, July 26-27 (Will Townsend)
- Flash Memory Summit, Aug 2-4, Santa Clara (Steve McDowell)
- Advisory, Seattle, August 16-17 (Patrick Moorhead)
- T-Mobile Analyst Summit – Bellevue, August 17-18 (Will Townsend)
- Hot Chips, Aug 21-23, virtual (Steve McDowell)
- VMware Explore, San Francisco, Aug 29-Sept 1 (Matt Kimball, Steve McDowell, Patrick Moorhead, Will Townsend)
- Quantum Open House Event, TBD (Paul Smith-Goodson)
- Intel InnovatiON, San Jose, Sept 27-28 (Steve McDowell)
- SNIA Storage Developer Conference, San Jose, Sept 28-29 (Steve McDowell)
- MWC Americas – Las Vegas, September 29-30 (Will Townsend)
- Google Cloud Next, October 11-13 (Patrick Moorhead)
- Oracle CloudWorld, Las Vegas, October 16 (Matt Kimball, Patrick Moorhead, Steve McDowell)
- Open Compute Global Summit, October 18-20 (Steve McDowell)
- 5G Americas Analyst Forum – Dallas, October 19-20 (Will Townsend)
- Austin GP, Austin, October 21 (Patrick Moorhead)
- Advisory, NYC, October 24-27 (Patrick Moorhead)
- Micron Insights 2022, San Francisco (Patrick Moorhead)
- AWS re:Invent, Las Vegas (Patrick Moorhead)
- Total Telecom Congress – London, November 1-2 (Will Townsend)
- 5G Techritory – Riga, November 29-December 1 (Will Townsend)
- CES 2022, Las Vegas, January 5-7 (Patrick Moorhead)
- Sign up here to get specific AI/ML, Datacenter, Cloud Services, Client Computing, IIoT, and Semiconductor content.
Analysts, Analysts In-Residence, Contributors
- Patrick Moorhead, Founder, CEO, Chief Analyst; Broad technology coverage plus deep insights into Cloud & SaaS, Personal Computing, Semiconductors, Automotive
- Bill Curtis, Analyst In-Residence, IIoT, and Deep IoT Technology
- Matt Kimball, Principal Analyst, Datacenter Servers, CI, and HCI
- Melody Brue, Principal Analyst, Financial Tech
- Steve McDowell, Principal Analyst, Datacenter Storage, and Storage Technologies
- Anshel Sag, Principal Analyst; V.R., P.C. Gaming, Mobile Platforms
- Paul Smith-Goodson, Principal Analyst; Machine Learning, A.I. and Quantum Computing
- Will Townsend, Principal Analyst; Security, Carrier Services, Networking
- Chris Wilder, Contributor, Security
- Dan Pickens, Business Director
- Paula Moorhead, Marketing Director, Website, and Social Media
- Walker Pickens, Media Relations, and Writer
- Zane Pickett, Office Manager, AP, AR, travel, writer
- Lee LeClercq Williams, Business Associate
- Nigel Church, Business Associate, Writer, Editor
- Jacob Freyman, Writer, and Researcher
- Connor Kenyon, Six Five Sales & Business Development