I hope you are having a great week. The new year 2023 is quickly approaching, and our MI&S team continues to stay busy traveling.
Last week Anshel and I attended AWS re:Invent. Will attended 5G Techritory.
I am traveling to California this week to attend the Lattice Launch Event and Marvell Analyst Day, with Steve. Will and Steve will attend Palo Alto Networks Ignite in Las Vegas next week.
Our MI&S team published 32 deliverables:
Over the last three weeks, the press quoted us with 18 citations. Journalists wanted to hear about Apple, China, Frore, Intel, Overlook Networks, and Pure Storage.
MIS Quick Insights:
A.I./Machine Learning (Paul Smith-Goodson)
AR/VR (Anshel Sag)
- Apple is rumored to be changing the naming of its mixed reality platform from RealityOS to xrOS, which would align with the rest of the industry’s nomenclature and help consumers understand XR better and might serve overall to be an excellent thing for the industry, especially with Apple’s marketing experience.
- Sony’s Mocopi is a low-cost body tracking system that is expected to work with PC VR and potentially with PlayStation VR titles. Full-body tracking can benefit VR realism for games and social experiences, where it can increase immersion.
- Population One, a battle royale VR title owned by Meta, will open its sandbox tool to let gamers build their own maps and create custom experiences which could revitalize the game and even potentially VR gaming as things have gotten somewhat stagnant for Meta.
Carrier/Wireless (Will Townsend)
- Storage- (Steve McDowell)
- Networking- (Will Townsend)
- Server- (Matt Kimball)
FinTech (Melody Brue)
- At AWS re:Invent Amazon Web Services Singapore Private Limited (AWS) announced a partnership for AWS to power Singapore’s first built-in-the-cloud digitally-native bank, Trust Bank (Trust). In two months of the collaboration, Trust onboarded more than 300,000 consumers with the agility to rapidly evolve based on consumer feedback and needs with the scalability to support its fast-growing customer base.
- The benefits of a built-in-the-cloud bank go beyond eliminating the time and expense invested into a digital transformation with little to no learning curve for bank associates or its customers. While many financial institutions (Fis) migrate to the cloud from legacy hardware and software, building cloud-based banking architecture allows for multi-channel onboarding, transactions, payment processing, and more. Operating in the cloud with real-time data will enable FIs to react quickly to ever-changing consumer demands and preferences and promptly respond to competitive threats. Cloud infrastructure can also help FIs' compliance position around audits, data encryption, logging, and more.
- AWS has also partnered with Vietnam's Timo Bank (Timo), one of the country's leading digital banks, to build a core banking platform on AWS in six months. Timo plans to scale the cloud-native banking platform business and acquire 5 million new customers within three years, focusing on economic empowerment for the Vietnamese by delivering innovative and personalized mobile banking services to the 69% unbanked population in the country.
- Using AWS' compute, data analytics, and machine learning capabilities, Timo is bringing quickly accessible digital banking services like payments and savings solutions to its customers in Vietnam via their mobile devices.
- Timo is solving customer pain points by working from the mission to develop economic empowerment in the country.
- Also, at re:Invent, NASDAQ and AWS gave an update on NASDAQ’s Cloud Migration. Last year, NASDAQ announced plans to migrate the stock exchange operator and financial services provider's North American markets to AWS in a phased approach, starting with its U.S. options market, MRX. NASDAQ and AWS announced a multi-year collaboration that promised to change the foundation of the infrastructure for the world’s capital market starting in 2022.
- At this year’s opening keynote, AWS CEO Adam Selipsky said the two entities have delivered on that promise and have moved several symbols already, with the rest on track to move before the end of this year. Selipsky said customers already see enhanced performance from the transition.
- NASDAQ and AWS had plans to co-develop an edge computing solution exclusively designed for market infrastructure, using AWS Outposts hybrid solutions to extend its infrastructure, services, and tools to any location, data center, or on-premise facility. The AWS Outposts enable ultra-low latency edge computing for latency and security-sensitive workloads, allowing billions of dollars in daily transactions.
- As it looks from the original announcement, the partnership should also help NASDAQ’s many infrastructure clients in the financial sector utilize AWS’s cloud capabilities to safeguard from criminal activity, analyze data more efficiently, and reduce costs associated with maintaining legacy systems. NASDAQ has plans to be 100% cloud-enabled within a decade.
IIoT and IoT (Bill Curtis)
Personal Computing/ Collaboration (Anshel Sag)
- Amazon’s new SimSpace Weaver looks to help increase the use of large-scale simulations in the cloud, whether for digital twin simulations or massively-multiplayer games.
- The FCC has granted SpaceX partial permission to launch its second generation of Starlink satellites, which are crucial to enabling satellite access to T-Mobile for its new service
- Ericsson states that it expects 1 billion people to have 5G connections by the end of this year, which is quite good when you consider most 5G networks didn’t launch until 2020 and 1 billion connections in 2-3 years are much better than I think most people expected
- Valve is running a significant giveaway to give away a Steam Deck every minute during The Game Awards, which I believe will help them get more attention for the hand-held console, especially now that it is no longer in short supply and people can easily buy them now.
- Google is finally getting RCS end-to-end encrypted group chats, which is sorely needed since it was previously one for individual conversations. I think this will further increase the validity of RCS as a messaging standard, even though many people still believe it has room for improvement to compete with Apple’s Messages.
Quantum Computing (Paul Smith-Goodson)
Retail Tech (Melody Brue)
- Forever 21 unveiled the retailer’s F21 Metaverse Collection, its first metaverse-inspired fashion collection, a year after launching the same products on the popular game Roblox. Brands use Roblox as a platform for experimentation with digital goods for the digitally savvy next generation of consumers. According to McKinsey, the metaverse is expected to generate $2.6 trillion in e-commerce sales by 2030, and retailers are increasingly using the virtual world to connect their brands, products, and experiences with customers - both in the metaverse and IRL (in real life).
Security (Will Townsend)
Space (Paul Smith-Goodson)
- Frore System's AirJet Thermal Solution Could Make Intel, AMD, And Qualcomm-Based Systems Thinner And More Performant, by Patrick Moorhead
- Is It Time To Start Giving Broadcom’s Pending Acquisition Of VMware A Chance? By Patrick Moorhead
- NVIDIA H100 GPU Performance Shatters Machine Learning Benchmarks For Model Training, by Paul Smith-Goodson
- OTT Regulation And Digital Accessibility Center Stage At 5G Techritory 2022, by Will Townsend
Blogs Published (MI&S)
- Why The Zoho Finance Platform Has Parabolic Growth, by Patrick Moorhead
- Cohesity - Leapfrogging The Competition In Data Security And Management, by Patrick Moorhead
- Hatch Delights Customers With Immersive Design Reviews, by Patrick Moorhead
- Cisco Ushers In “The Age Of The Partner” At Partner Summit 2022, by Patrick Moorhead
- Zoom Adds Calendar, Email Client And More Services To The Zoom Platform At Zoomtopia 2022, by Patrick Moorhead
- US Army Analytics Group – Cybersecurity Anomaly Detection 1000X Faster With Less False Positives, by Patrick Moorhead
- Groq Wants To Reimagine High-Performance Computing, by Patrick Moorhead
- Cisco Flexes Its IoT Muscle At The Indy Autonomous Challenge, by Will Townsend
- SAP Empowers Anyone To Build Applications And Automate Tasks In Their Own Environment, by Melody Brue
- MediaTek’s Latest Generation SoCs Enable Greater Access To Leadership Performance, by Anshel Sag
- AMD’s New Radeon RX 7900XTX And 7900XT Put The Pressure On NVIDIA, by Anshel Sag
- IBM’s New 23 Billion Transistor AIU Could Establish A Trend In The AI Hardware Market, by Paul Smith-Goodson
- IBM Announces New 400+ Qubit Quantum Processor Plus Plans For A Quantum-Centric Supercomputer, by Paul Smith-Goodson
- RESEARCH PAPER: Embracing Multi-Cloud Services, by Matt Kimball
The G2 on 5G by Moor Insights & Strategy, with Anshel Sag and Will Townsend
- The G2 on 5G Podcast – 5G Techritory Recap, AWS ReInvent Recap, Bharti Airtel and Meta Subsea Cable
- The G2 on 5G Podcast - Standalone Ep 9 - Brandon Branham - Asst. City Mgr. & CTO Peachtree Corners
DataCentric Podcast by Moor Insights & Strategy, with Matt Kimball and Steve McDowell
The Six-Five Podcast by Moor Insights & Strategy and Futurum Research, with Patrick Moorhead and Daniel Newman
- The Six Five On the Road with Chris Wellise of AWS at re:Invent 2022
- The Six Five On the Road with Gadi Hutt of Annapurna Labs at AWS re:Invent 2022
- The Six Five On the Road with Richard Moulds of AWS at re:Invent 2022
- The Six Five On the Road with Katrina King of AWS at re:Invent 2022
- IBM-AWS Alliance Update w/ GM, Strategy & Corp Development, IBM, Roger Premo — Six Five In the Booth
- The Six Five On the Road with Shubha Rao of AWS at re:Invent 2022
- Six Five On the Road at AWS reInvent 2022 with Susanne Seitinger
- The Six Five On the Road with Bratin Saha from AWS at re:Invent 2022
- The Six Five In the Booth with Dell's Colm Keegan at AWS re:Invent 2022
- The Six Five In the Booth with Dell’s Nick Brackney at AWS re:Invent 2022
- The Six Five On the Road with Dell's Varun Chhabra at AWS re:Invent 2022
- The Six Five In the Booth with Dell’s Bob Ganley at AWS re:Invent 2022
Moor Insights & Strategy Podcast
- Apple / DetroitNews https://www.detroitnews.com/restricted/?return=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.detroitnews.com%2Fstory%2Fbusiness%2F2022%2F11%2F28%2Fapple-to-lose-6-million-iphone-pros-from-tumult-at-china-plant-tdn%2F69683478007%2F (Anshel Sag)
- Apple / YahooNews https://www.yahoo.com/video/apple-production-shortfalls-china-plant-104312921.html?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAACpLE-imGaEjl443_JIOh0xkB2hLRH4Y8qgRM8OSB2hHfOFejltPIIVh-eYt9mBAP5oS4St7TSzbPJ2DLY_Bp3nYEcyzHBO2hA8O_MaAlizKEsoq8dFWMsrBHcDdfwMRA6n4OFapddGf7tYcvCJsf6YHD3rnCafMSoJ1lIYnrIKa (Anshel Sag)
- Apple / LATimes https://www.latimes.com/business/story/2022-11-28/apple-short-6-million-iphone-pros-china-plant-protests (Anshel Sag)
- Apple / TheEconomicsTimes https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/industry/cons-products/electronics/apple-to-lose-6-million-iphone-pros-from-tumult-at-china-plant/articleshow/95841707.cms?from=mdr (Anshel Sag)
- Apple / TaipeiTimes https://www.taipeitimes.com/News/biz/archives/2022/11/29/2003789759 (Anshel Sag)
- Apple / Coinspeaker https://www.coinspeaker.com/apple-6m-fewer-iphone-pros-china/ (Anshel Sag)
- Apple / Spokesman https://www.spokesman.com/stories/2022/nov/28/apple-to-lose-6-million-iphone-pros-from-tumult-at/
- Apple / Bloomberg https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-11-28/apple-to-lose-6-million-iphone-pros-from-tumult-at-china-plant?leadSource=uverify%20wall (Anshel Sag)
- China / Sacbee https://www.sacbee.com/money/what-china-protests-mean-for-stocks/ (Anshel Sag)
- China / Nasdaq https://www.nasdaq.com/articles/what-investors-should-do-as-protests-in-china-rattle-global-markets (Anshel Sag)
- China / Money https://money.com/what-china-protests-mean-for-stocks/ (Anshel Sag)
- China / MSN https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/markets/what-investors-should-do-as-protests-in-china-rattle-markets/ar-AA14EYWV (Anshel Sag)
- Frore / PCWorld https://www.pcworld.com/article/1388332/new-airjet-chips-can-double-a-laptops-performance.html
- Intel / DataCenterKnowledge https://www.datacenterknowledge.com/intel/intel-foundry-services-president-randhir-thakur-step-down
- Intel / EDNAsia https://www.ednasia.com/change-of-guards-at-intel-foundry-services/
- Overlook Networks / Contentmx https://contentmx.com/b/page/page.php?u=Pnolan&i=3045314
- Pure Storage / SiliconAngle https://siliconangle.com/2022/11/29/expect-path-sustainable-event-join-thecube-dec-6-purestoragesustainableit/ (Steve McDowell)
- Pure Storage / SiliconAngle https://siliconangle.com/2022/11/30/pure-storage-nutanix-post-solid-earnings-results/ (Steve McDowell)
New Gear or Software We are Using and Testing that is Public Knowledge
- Apple AirPods Pro 2
- HP Dragonfly Folio
- iPhone 14 Plus
- Microsoft Surface Pro 9 5G
- Pixel 7 Pro
- Pixel Watch
- XGIMI 4K HDR Projector
Events MI&S Plans on Attending In-Person or Virtually (New)
- Lattice Launch Event, San Jose, December 5 (Patrick Moorhead)
- Marvell Analyst Day, Santa Clara, December 6 (Patrick Moorhead)
- Palo Alto Networks Ignite – Las Vegas, December 12-15 (Steve McDowell, Will Townsend)
- CES 2023, Las Vegas, January 2-7 (Anshel Sag, Patrick Moorhead)
- San Franciso, January 31-Feb 1 (Patrick Moorhead)
- Seattle advisory, February 2-3 (Patrick Moorhead)
- Mobile World Congress, March 1 (Patrick Moorhead)
- Sign up here to get specific AI/ML, Datacenter, Cloud Services, Client Computing, IIoT, and Semiconductor content.
Analysts, Analysts In-Residence, Contributors
- Patrick Moorhead, Founder, CEO, Chief Analyst; Broad technology coverage plus deep insights into Cloud & SaaS, Personal Computing, Semiconductors, & Automotive
- Bill Curtis, Analyst In-Residence, IIoT, and Deep IoT Technology
- Matt Kimball, Principal Analyst, Datacenter Servers, CI, and HCI
- Melody Brue, Principal Analyst, Financial Tech
- Steve McDowell, Principal Analyst, Datacenter Storage, and Storage Technologies
- Anshel Sag, Principal Analyst; VR, PC Gaming, Mobile Platforms
- Paul Smith-Goodson, Principal Analyst; Machine Learning, A.I. and Quantum Computing
- Will Townsend, Principal Analyst; Security, Carrier Services, Networking
- Chris Wilder, Contributor, Security
- Dan Pickens, Business Director
- Paula Moorhead, Marketing Director, Website and Social Media
- Walker Pickens, Media Relations, and Writer
- Zane Pickett, Office Manager, AP, AR, travel, writer
- Lee LeClercq Williams, Business Associate
- Nigel Church, Business Associate, Writer, Editor
- Jacob Freyman, Writer, and Researcher
- Connor Kenyon, Six Five Sales & Business Development