We hope everyone had a great week!
Last week, Paul and I attended IBM Research Analyst Day in Yorktown, NY. Will attended the Cisco Partner Summit.
This week, our MI&S team is busy attending: NTT Field Event in Tokyo (Will), SC23 in Denver (Patrick), Veeam Analyst Summit in Seattle (Robert), RingCentral Virtual Launch Event (Melody), MediaTek Executive Summit(Anshel), Microsoft Ignite virtually (Patrick, Robert, and Will), and Matillion Data Unlocked Summit (Robert – virtual).
Our MI&S team published 28 deliverables:
Over the last week, the press quoted us with 14 citations. They wanted to hear about Cisco, Latvia, Qualcomm, RISC-V, T-Mobile, Ventana, and Zoom.
MIS Quick Insights:
A.I./Machine Learning (Paul Smith-Goodson)
- Reuters has reported that Amazon is working on an unannounced massive LLM codenamed ‘Olympus’ that is twice as big as OpenAI’s GPT-4. Amazon might be incorporating the model into the Alexa online platform. The project is under the guidance of Alexa Rohit Prasad, Amazon’s top AGI scientist. GPT-4 had 1 trillion parameters, and the giant AWS model is believed to have 2 trillion parameters. I was unable to find any cost estimate training it.
AR/VR (Anshel Sag)
Carrier/Wireless (Will Townsend)
Networking– (Will Townsend)
Compute/Storage/Cloud (Matt Kimball)
ESG (Melody Brue)
Enterprise Data (Robert Kramer)
- This week, I am wrapping up an event in Manchester, UK, where I’ve been collaborating with the team at Qualcomm. We are working on how data and advertising can be effectively utilized in the sports industry. We leverage these elements to enhance marketing efforts, create a competitive advantage, and develop unique and innovative strategies. More to come on this topic.
- Commvault has launched its new hybrid resiliency platform, the Commvault Cloud. This platform combines the company’s SaaS and software solutions, enabling data protection and recovery across multiple environments and locations. It features AI and ML for data protection and security. Read more in our latest article https://www.forbes.com/sites/patrickmoorhead/2023/11/08/commvault-cloud-unifies-data-protection-security-and-recovery/?sh=18926027d293
- No surprise with another advancement with AI. Oracle and Microsoft collaborate on AI service development, with Microsoft integrating Oracle Cloud Infrastructure (OCI) AI infrastructure alongside its Azure AI infrastructure for AI model inferencing. This partnership aims to enhance and optimize Microsoft Bing’s search capabilities.
- Rubrik has introduced Ruby, an AI tool for its Security Cloud, to help improve cyber attack detection, recovery, and protection. Ruby uses Microsoft’s Azure OpenAI and adds advanced AI and automated features to the Rubrik Security Cloud, providing a process for handling cyber incidents. I detail this announcement and more in my upcoming article on Rubrik publishing soon.
- Google Cloud and VMware have announced a partnership, introducing the AlloyDB Omni database on VMware Cloud Foundation. This development can enable customers to manage a PostgreSQL-compatible database with its existing databases in an open platform to develop generative AI applications.
- NTT DATA, a partner of SAP, announced the acquisition of Sapphire Systems, a UK-based company specializing in software and services for mid-market clients in the US and UK. Sapphire Systems has over 1,200 existing customers and operates through partnerships with companies like SAP, ServiceNow, Infor SunSystems, HxGN, and AWS. This acquisition enhances NTT Data’s business solutions by adding new capabilities and expanding its customer base, specifically against competitors such as IBM, DXC, Accenture, Capgemini, Cognizant, Deloitte, and Atos.
Financial Tech (Melody Brue)
- Wells Fargo extended access to its financial planning tool, Life Sync, to nearly 70 million customers. The bank initially introduced it to wealth clients earlier this year. The Life Sync tool, designed for mobile users, has goal-setting and tracking. It lets users check credit scores, enables users to invest and transfer funds between accounts via their mobile app, and connects with financial advisers. Life Sync users have already set over 100,000 goals on the app, totaling more than $24 billion in financial plans. The move towards digital offerings has allowed Wells Fargo to reduce costs by cutting branch staff and locations. Wells Fargo acknowledges the importance of speed, usability, and insights into financial tools as it progresses in its digital transformation. Wells Fargo does not use GAI within Life Sync as it does in its Fargo chatbot assistant. Given the company’s heavy investment in AI and its goal of being an AI-first bank, I imagine adding GAI in Life Sync will happen quickly.
IIoT and IoT (Bill Curtis)
Modern Work (Melody Brue)
- Box announced plans to enhance its document management capabilities by leveraging Google Vertex AI models. This involves automating the process of populating documents with metadata, explicitly targeting the challenge of document tagging in enterprise IT. AI in document tagging should save significant time compared to manual key entry and prevent errors, providing substantial business benefits. The efficiency gained from quickly locating the proper documents and data should contribute to making documents and sometimes overlooked data more useful in day-to-day work.
- Box has built on its integration with Google Workspace, enabling users to create, collaborate, and save content in Google Docs, Sheets, and Slides directly within the Box environment. Box is now on the Google Cloud Marketplace, simplifying customer procurement and billing processes using both platforms. Looking ahead, the partnership between Box and Google is expanding, with plans to integrate more Google Cloud Platform services.
Personal Computing (Anshel Sag)
Quantum Computing (Paul Smith-Goodson)
- IonQ announced its financial results for the quarter that ended September 30, 2023, and signaling that quantum is steadily moving forward, making commercial and technical progress:
- 3Q23 revenue of $ 6.1 million – above the highest of the previously provided range and represents 122% growth compared to $2.8 million in 3Q22.
- $26.3 million in new bookings for the third quarter and $ 58.4 million year-to-date as of September 30, 2023.
- IonQ achieved its goal of $100 million in cumulative bookings within the first three years of its commercialization efforts, starting in 2021, a full quarter ahead of the initial prediction.
- Cash, equivalents, and investments were $485.1 million as of September 30, 2023.
- Microsoft and Photonic, a quantum computing company, have announced a partnership to develop scalable quantum hardware and software. Photonic recently raised $100 million for its continued architecture development that combines highly connected silicon spin qubits with a spin-photon interface. This architecture leverages the memory and computing capabilities of spins with the connectivity of photonics. Microsoft was an investor in this funding. The goal is to create a fault-tolerant quantum computer with thousands of qubits. Microsoft’s approach uses theoretical topological qubits, which are more robust and stable than conventional qubits.
Security (Will Townsend)
- Commvault Cloud Unifies Data Protection, Security, AI, And Recovery, by Patrick Moorhead
Research Notes (MI&S)
- Blancco Data Erasure Readies Devices For Circular Economy, by Melody Brue
- RingCentral and Vodaphone Power Hybrid and Remote Work for Customers in Spain, by Melody Brue and Anshel Sag
- Waste is a Design Flaw, by Melody Brue
- Apple Expands BNPL Offering, Apple Pay Later, in the US, by Melody Brue
- RESEARCH NOTE: Do You Really Think NVIDIA Would ‘Skirt’ USG Export Controls On China Accelerators? Think Again, by Patrick Moorhead
Blogs Published (MI&S)
- HP Reimagined 2023 Event Report: Company Announces New Premium AI-focused PCs, by Patrick Moorhead
- Microsoft AI Event Report: Company Unifies Work And Personal Experiences With Copilot For Windows 11, by Patrick Moorhead
- Qualcomm Snapdragon Summit 2023 Event Report: The Beginning Of A New Dawn For On-Device AI, by Patrick Moorhead
- Enterprise Data Technology, Part 2: Harnessing Data For Success, by Robert Kramer
- Oracle Red Bull Racing Teams With Arctic Wolf For The Security Win, by Will Townsend
- AI Dominates Qualcomm Snapdragon Summit With New Snapdragon Products, by Anshel Sag
- Atom Computing Announces Record-Breaking 1,225-Qubit Quantum Computer, by Paul Smith-Goodson
- Intuit Gets An A+ For Intuit Assist – A Powerful GenAI Assistant For TurboTax, Quickbooks, Credit Karma, And MailChimp, by Paul Smith-Goodson
- 5G Techritory 2023 Showcases Baltic Mobile Telecom Leadership, by Will Townsend
- Software AG Expands Its Offerings With Super IPaaS, by Robert Kramer
- SailPoint Navigate 2023 Charts An Identity Security Journey, by Will Townsend
- Informatica Embraces AI To Help Companies Manage Their Data, by Robert Kramer
- Microsoft Introduces Generative AI Tools To Boost Creativity, by Melody Brue
- Pure Storage Is Redefining As-A-Service, by Matt Kimball
- Meta Extends Its AI Messaging To The Quest 3 And More At Meta Connect 2023, by Anshel Sag
- Oracle Explores Data Innovations At CloudWorld 2023, by Robert Kramer
- Mobile World Congress Las Vegas 2023 Showcases The Power Of Mobility, by Will Townsend
- XaaS Delivers The Last Mile Of Digital Transformation, by Matt Kimball
The G2 on 5G by Moor Insights & Strategy, with Anshel Sag and Will Townsend
The Six-Five Podcast by Moor Insights & Strategy and Futurum Research, with Patrick Moorhead and Daniel Newman
- Ep 192: We are Live! Talking GlobalFoundries, Arm, Open AI, IBM, VMWare, OpenShift, and Synopsys
- Setting a New Standard in Cyber Resilience – Six Five Insider
Moor Insights & Strategy Podcasts, with Patrick Moorhead, Melody Brue, CP Smith-Goodson, Matt Kimball, and Will Townsend.
- Cisco / Observability Platform / Will Townsend / https://www.computerweekly.com/news/366558933/Cisco-expands-full-stack-observability-ecosystem
- Cisco / Observability Platform / Will Townsend / https://newsroom.cisco.com/c/r/newsroom/en/us/a/y2023/m11/cisco-observability-platform-opens-up-to-partners-wanting-to-create-new-and-impactful-use-cases-for-observability.html
- Cisco / Observability Platform / Will Townsend / https://securitybrief.com.au/story/cisco-unveils-new-modules-for-observability-platform
- Cisco / Observability Platform / Will Townsend / https://www.silverliningsinfo.com/newswire/cisco-expands-observability-ecosystem-new-partner-modules
- Cisco / Observability Platform / Will Townsend / https://telecom.economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/telecom-equipment/cisco-expands-observability-platform-with-modules-for-sap-visibility-mlops-others/105062388
- Latvia / 5G / Will Townsend / https://labsoflatvia.com/en/news/latvia-is-a-real-leader-in-5g-interview-with-5g-analyst-will-townsend
- Qualcomm / PC Chip / Anshel Sag / https://www.cnet.com/tech/computing/qualcomms-pc-chip-could-mean-windows-pcs-as-good-as-apple-macbooks/
- Qualcomm / X Elite Chip / Anshel Sag/ https://za.investing.com/news/qualcomms-snapdragon-x-elite-chip-set-to-revolutionize-laptop-performance-93CH-2928401
- RISC-V / Processor / Patrick Moorhead / https://www.embedded.com/new-risc-v-processors-address-demand-for-open-source-and-performance/
- T-Mobile / 5G / Will Townsend / https://www.businessinsider.com/sc/how-t-mobile-is-leading-the-5g-revolution
- Ventana / Processor / Patrick Moorhead / https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/ventana-introduces-veyron-v2–worlds-highest-performance-data-center-class-risc-v-processor-and-platform-301980591.html
- Ventana / Processor / Patrick Moorhead / https://timestech.in/ventana-unveils-veyron-v2-top-performance-risc-v-processor-for-data-centers/
- Ventana / Processor / Patrick Moorhead / https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/ventana-introduces-veyron-v2-worlds-193500387.html?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAJpQvcuN74hvyRnTUyDFWaJS2MJJGmjwzD_92TrTyZj2R5PCKkrxYfqGguZCIdE0K37bX5V752FrR6qL1-BLDIxNGvUJ-mrdSAsHCPo79XLsG3H4Fv5Zr6_rDkM8y6pb0ON_EzIor8h8tVb_giEKEwCHB9vNaQciY3V7LIFjt3mx
- Zoom / AI / Melody Brue / https://blog.zoom.us/the-next-generation-contact-center-5-ingredients-for-success/
New Gear or Software We are Using and Testing that is Public Knowledge
- Surface Laptop Studio 2
- XReal Beam AR glasses
- XReal Glasses
- Varjo Aero VR headset
Events MI&S Plans on Attending In-Person or Virtually (New)
- NTT Field Event – Tokyo, November 10-18 (Will Townsend)
- SC 23, November 13-15 (Patrick Moorhead)
- Veeam Analyst Summit – Seattle November 13-15 (Robert Kramer)
- RingCentral Virtual Launch Event, November 14 (Melody Brue – virtual)
- MediaTek Executive Summit, Laguna Beach, Nov 14-16 (Anshel Sag)
- Microsoft Ignite – Seattle, November 14-17 (virtual) (Robert Kramer, Will Townsend, Patrick Moorhead)
- Matillion Data Unlocked Summit – November 15 (Robert Kramer – virtual)
- AWS Re:Invent, November 27-30 (Anshel Sag, Patrick Moorhead, Robert Kramer, Will Townsend)
- Lattice Developer Event, December 4 (Patrick Moorhead)
- Marvell IA Day, December 5 (Patrick Moorhead, Will Townsend)
- AMD AI Event, San Jose, December 6 (Patrick Moorhead)
- Druid Demo Day – Dublin, December 15 (Will Townsend)
- January 2024
- CES 2024, January 7-11th (Bill Curtis, Patrick Moorhead)
- February 2024
- ZohoDay2024, Texas, February 6-8 (Melody Brue)
- Mobile World Congress, Barcelona, February 24-29th (Patrick Moorhead)
- RingCentral Analyst Summit, Bay Area, February 26-28 (Melody Brue)
- March 2024
- Adobe Summit, March 26-28, Las Vegas (Melody Brue, Robert Kramer)
- May 2024
- Informatica World, Las Vegas, May 2024 (Robert Kramer – virtual)
- IBM Think Boston, May 20-23, 2024 (Robert Kramer)
- June 2024
- SAP Sapphire June 3–5 (Robert Kramer)
- Sign up here to get specific AI/ML/GAI, Datacenter, Cloud Services, Client Computing, IIoT, and Semiconductor content.
- Patrick Moorhead, Founder, CEO, Chief Analyst; Broad technology coverage plus deep insights into Cloud & Enterprise SaaS, Semiconductors, Automotive, Personal Computing Devices
- Melody Brue, Principal Analyst, Modern Work, ESG, HCM, HRM, and HXM
- Bill Curtis, Analyst In-Residence, IIoT, and Deep IoT Technology
- Matt Kimball, Principal Analyst, Datacenter Servers, Storage, CI, and HCI
- Robert Kramer, Principal Analyst, Enterprise Data Technologies, ERP, and SCM
- Anshel Sag, Principal Analyst; VR, PC Gaming, Mobile Platforms
- Paul Smith-Goodson, Principal Analyst; Machine Learning, A.I. and Quantum Computing
- Will Townsend, Principal Analyst; Security, Carrier Services, Networking
- Dan Pickens, Business Director
- Paula Moorhead, Marketing Director, Website and Social Media
- Christian Babcock, Office Manager, AP & AR
- Lee LeClercq Williams, Business Associate
- Nigel Church, Business Associate, Writer, Editor
- Connor Kenyon, Six Five Business Development